Friday, July 3, 2009

What a month we've had.....

Things are looking much better here in Karaga. We’ve had a pretty tough couple weeks, so I’ll try to sum up everything. To all our family, we haven’t told you only because we didn’t want to worry you (because to be honest there’s nothing you can really do except worry!) but Cameron was pretty sick for a few weeks. He actually got malaria and typhoid fever at the same time. I’m sure you can all see from the photos, but he lost a couple pounds (I think it’s around 15, but he keeps saying only 10). He was taking all kinds of meds and we were in constant contact with our Peace Corps doctor, so we felt like we were in good hands. He’s feeling 100% better and has his appetite back, which I’m so thankful for. Then a week later I got giardia, which was no fun either. All our friends here have been so supportive and helpful, we truly couldn’t ask for a better group of people to be spending our time with. So, I just want to emphasize, we’re feeling great right now and hope we haven’t upset you be not letting you know (that’s really for our moms). We just know how hard it is for you not to be able to help, so we thought we’d wait a few weeks before we told you the whole scope.
Now, on to describing the photos! First you’ll see two of our favorite little guys who always hang out at our house (I think it might be because we give them candy). Then the next two photos are of a “clean-up Karaga” day we did with the villagers. We’re working with the Ghanaian Water and Sanitation Team to help start an Environment Club for the junior and high school students. We went with the group to meet our Chief (who has 22 wives…..and a lover…. and I’m totally not kidding), which is the following photo, to tell him about the project. Every morning and evening I’ve been taking walks out into the “bush” to have some time to myself, and the sunset photo is what I get to look at every night. It’s honestly one of my favorite parts of my day. There are a lot of cows around the area, and the “small boys” in the families have to sleep out in the bush to make sure they don’t run away (and some are as young as a 6 years old sleeping out by themselves!). Here’s a photo of a couple of them hanging out during one of my walks. Then there’s a photo of Cameron making (drum roll please) RAVIOLI! It was absolutely amazing (which I have to tell you we weren’t eating very well when he was sick because I’m practically useless in the cooking department). Next there’s a photo of me and Reubetta waiting for the storm to come followed by some cute kids coloring while it was raining. Then there’s me reading by candlelight on one of the many days we have lights out (we have electricity about 60% of the time).
So that’s what we’ve been up to, and I just want to say again that we’re healthy and happy and doing well (moms, we know we’ll probably get phone calls right after this is posted, but don’t worry!). Enjoy the photos!

3 comments:

MOM said...

Bet your bootie I'm calling. If it wern't 1:10 a.m. here I'd be on the phone with Beth!!! As of 1:11 a.m. you have 72 missed calls because I cannot get thru to Ghana for Pete's sake (who's Pete)....Love you...MOM

MOM said...

Loads of love!!! Now boil it baby!!! MOM

Boil it, cook it, peel it, or forget it"

If you drink water, buy it bottled or bring it to a rolling boil for 1 minute before you drink it. Bottled carbonated water is safer than uncarbonated water.
Ask for drinks without ice unless the ice is made from bottled or boiled water. Avoid popsicles and flavored ices that may have been made with contaminated water.
Eat foods that have been thoroughly cooked and that are still hot and steaming.
Avoid raw vegetables and fruits that cannot be peeled. Vegetables like lettuce are easily contaminated and are very hard to wash well.
When you eat raw fruit or vegetables that can be peeled, peel them yourself. (Wash your hands with soap first.) Do not eat the peelings.
Avoid foods and beverages from street vendors. It is difficult for food to be kept clean on the street, and many travelers get sick from food bought from street vendors.

Kathy said...

Do I need to send over a peeler? how about some "wet ones"? :)

MISS YOU!